An overview of the Malta Citizenship application process under the Individual Investor Programme Rules.
Time Frames for Malta Citizenship applications:
1. Apply for Residence: applicants who are not already resident in Malta are advised to start the process of residency to set the clock ticking on the 1 year residency requirement. A deposit on account of the €650K contribution is due at this stage: €5,000 for main applicant. €1,000 per dependent.
2. Day 0: Formal Application by Accredited Person: An application is formally submitted to Identity Malta with the essential supporting documents. Payments due now include the due diligence fees, passport fees and a deposit of €10,000 on account of the €650K contribution, less any payments made on applying for residency. Evidence of source of funds to be presented.
3. Day 90: Identity Malta confirms if documentation submitted are formally in order, subject to a further month of further verifications.
4. Day 120: In Principle Approval: This is the approval of the process conditional only to the fulfilment of the obligations undertaken under the IIP.
5. Day 125: Formal Request for Contribution: Identity Malta requests payment of remaining balance on contribution.
6. Day 145: Deadline for paying balance on contribution.
7. Day 240: Final Compliance: Provide evidence of Property Purchase / Rental & €150K investment.
8. Day 183; Issue of Certificate of Naturalisation (maximum time to issue: 2 years). Subject to: Oath of Allegiance, 1 Year residence.
Our Malta Citizenship Services
Applications for Maltese Citizenship by Investment are to be made to and processed wholly by Identity Malta. Applicants must be represented by an Accredited Person that is a licensed Maltese Authorised Registered Mandatory (ARM). Dr Jean-Philippe Chetcuti (Chetcuti Cauchi Advisors Ltd) holds licence no. IIP 001 and has satisfied the additional requirements imposed by the IIP Regulations over and above the requirements for ARMs under other legislation. The programme imposes more responsibilities on ARMs to ensure the highest standards of quality are maintained throughout the application process, for the protection and benefit of applicants and the reputation of the Maltese citizenship by investment programme. Ref: Malta Citizenship Applications
The first Malta Citizenship applications
Since the European Commission’s approval last February, Chetcuti Cauchi has handled the first applications for Citizenship by Investment in Malta after the firm’s approval to accredited status with Identity Malta Licence 001. Identity Malta has been very supportive in our first applications and have demonstrated the seriousness and professionalism that was promised by our Government in their dealings with us as Accredited Persons as well as our esteemed clients who ventured to be the first candidates for Malta Citizenship.