Home European Citizenship How To Legally Change Your Tax Residency + 183-Day Rule Explained

How To Legally Change Your Tax Residency + 183-Day Rule Explained

If you need advice on how to change your tax residency, where to set up your company, or other questions related to the flag theory, you can book a strategy session with me here:


- Advertisement -portugal citizenship by investment
Stay Connected
Must Watch
Related News


  1. The one thing that I never understood about the 183 rule is how do they know if someone spent that amount of time in the country? I've been on countries in Europe where I rented a car and drove to 6 or 7 countries with absolutely no border control! How do they count the days? Great Channel

  2. Hey, this was a really helpful video, thanks for that, gave a like and subscribe!

    I did have a question regarding Tax Residency intricacies. Lets say I am leaving one the residential based taxation countries (Canada, Australia etc). You said that in order for these countries to recognize that you're officially leaving, you need to become a resident somewhere else . You also said that you can easily get residency permits in some places with minimal requirements (ie Panama, which I am considering). You also said this won't be enough for your old country to recognize you leaving. So, from my understanding, if I get Panama residency, and live there for 2 months, this doesn't really mean anything to your old government because you're just a tourist in that county to them, is that correct, even if I have the residency card?

    If so, then, for example, I should stay for 183 days, and then get my official tax residency certificate. You are saying this makes it official, since now in your old country's eyes, you are paying tax in a new place officially, and thats what they want to see. Is that correct? Do they generally care if you have a permanent new home, like a rented apartment ? Obviously this is more difficult for a digital nomad… What if I get my tax residency for the 1st year in Panama, get my certificate, and then the following years Im not a tax resident anywhere technically because Im a perpetual traveller. Does that satisfy the old country the one time you officially left and is that technically allowed?

    Lastly, how about places where you can obtain a tax residency officially in as little as 2 months (ie St Kitts and Nevis), or Bahamas which is 90 days. In the case of St Kitts, they dont even provide you with any certificate or anything of any kind. Would your old government recognize this, or just call you a tourist, since you don't have any official documentation? Is the most important piece an official certificate?

    Hope you can assist, Im just trying to understand very specific details


  3. Do you think (in Germany's case) that if you'd own an apartment but have rented it out for more than 6 years already, they would consider you have residential ties? I mean it would not be readily available as it is 100% rented out.

  4. Hi Chris, may I ask what do you do for a living that has allowed you to save on tax by constantly traveling? I'm curious because I'm an internet marketer and not necessarily tied to any specific country as well but I sure do pay a ton in taxes 🙂

  5. Domain is a Pandora's box.
    If you want to cut domain, you better have no property in the country that you want to sever domain with.
    As Chris says, you need to establish residence in another country. This is not black and white. Renting is quite weak(the wrong judge will say rent, by its nature, is temporary). Buying Property is much stronger.

    Best example of a high profile domain case comes from Ireland.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here