Home Residency in Schengen How I got my EU National Family Residency card in Spain

How I got my EU National Family Residency card in Spain

For Filipinos who want to live in Spain for longer than 3 months, they must apply for an EU national family member card. You must do this at an Immigration Office or a police station, if there is no an immigration Office in the region where your living– no later than 3 months after arriving in Spain.

A Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen is issued to the family member to confirm this right of residence. The holder of a valid Residence Card is entitled to use this document in lieu of an entry visa for entry to all EEA member states.

Documents to produce:

1. Form EX-19 filled and signed.
2. Valid passport with Visa Sticker
3. ID (D.N.I.) of the Spanish citizen, or certificate of the UE national whom they are joining to or accompanying
4. Partner/spouse – proof of the family link (marriage cert)
*for unmarried partners, proof of a long-term or durable relationship with you
*present a marriage certificate issued during the last 3 months. But not all certificates will be valid:

It must be issued from a country member of the European Union (so if you got married in the Philippines, you need to register your marriage to your EU partner country)
Conversely, if it is issued by a country outside the EU, and additional registry will be usually required. (Marriage cert from the Philippines should be authenticated by DFA and have APOSTILLE)

other requirement
5. NIE number
6. Private medical insurance is required with total coverage in Spanish territory, 
7. Spanish bank account – statement for 3 months
For two family members, € 885.36 per month (€ 12395.04 per year)
7. House or flat contact with both of your name a minimum of 1 year.

-All documents need to be translated in Spanish so you need to look for someone to translate all your documents.

Residence cards are valid for 5 years.

Holders of an EU family member’s residence card don’t need to obtain a visa for (Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and the UK) if traveling with an EU national.


The authorities should make their decision to issue a residence card or not within 6 months. If they do not do so, you can call on our assistance services. In any case, your non-EU family members cannot be expelled if their visa expired while their application is being processed.

If your application is rejected, the authorities must give you the decision in writing, stating the grounds for the decision and its implications, and specifying how you can appeal and by when.

If their application is accepted, the residence card will often be issued free of charge. If fees are charged, they may not be more than those charged to nationals for similar documents, such as identity cards.

The document should clearly state that it is the residence card of an EU national family member.

The residence card should be valid for 5 years (or for your planned length of stay, if shorter). Any change of address may need to be reported to the authorities.

Your family members may use their residence card to travel to another EU country, but if they want to move to another EU country, they have to apply for another residence card in the new host country. And as long as they are dependent on you, you have to move with them.


- Advertisement -portugal citizenship by investment
Stay Connected
Must Watch
Related News


  1. Hello sis, just want to ask a question about booking an appointment for applying. Which category on the administracion.gob.es you had chose to book your appointment for application? I am now in Lleida and I booked an appointment under certificado de registro de ciudadano de la E.U. When I went to the police office they just dismissed us and said that I'm not a European and they asked us to book once again. My problem is I don't know which category I have to choose and book if I'm a family member of an EU citizen(Polish with Permanent Spanish Residency).. Thank you for your answer.

  2. Hi thanks a lot. Its very informative video. I have a question to you, I hope you can help me. How to apply online by myself? If you have a link then please share with me. I just married in Spain and want to apply the residence card for my wife. All the documents are which is require we already have. Just don't know how to apply online. Hope you can help me. Thanks. God bless.

  3. very infromative video, thanks! I want to share my experience to get your first euros – just open an account in Blackcatcard 'cause it's Maltese bank with I-ban and sepa

  4. I highly recomend that you stay ther for 2 yrs atleast and learn spanish language, Filipinos only need 2 yrs to be eligible for spanish citizenship. Spanish passport is very powerful, it always rank number 4 globally.

  5. What if you and your spanish citizen partner is just planning to get married and not living together or in a long distance relationship?would it still be possible to register or apply for EU national Family residency even though you cannot be able to present any proof of live-in? thus other relationship proof is acceptable?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here